Monday, April 15, 2024

Off to Ireland … except for delays … 15 April 2024

 Today is the start of the big Nelson (Maher) genealogy trip, with Larry and Claudia, to the land of our great-great-grandparents.

It started out Ok, up at 5:30, poor Marley looked half-asleep when Barney walked him at 5:45am and we got off on time. And then things happened. Protesters were blocking both Interstate 880 and the Golden Gate Bridge, so I was half expecting the same on the Bay Bridge, but we got to the airport right on time. I said goodbye to Barney, and got a wheelchair assist to the gate, boarded early (first time ever doing that, but I am a bit slow with the cane post-surgery) on our flight departing at 10:40am.We loaded up the full flight, taxied for a while and then … a weird sound started under the floor, like a loose strap slapping against a metal panel. One woman cried out “does anyone else hear that sound?” and several folks agreed. It happened again, and she called for the flight attendant to alert them. Three flight attendants arrived to calm her down, then it happened again. The lead flight attendant then alerted the co-pilot and the plane stopped. After a while, they announced that we’d be going back to the gate for a mechanical inspection, but would likely be on our way soon. As soon as we arrived at the gate folks started lining up in the aisle to deplane, which they finally allowed people to do. I was debating whether to call to see if I could get another flight but felt maybe they’d get it fixed and we’d be on our way soon. Plus I had been a nice person and gate-checked my bag since the flight was really full … never again! Time passed and the four-hour transfer window I had in Chicago was shrinking. Finally they told us all to deplane, and the gate agent was flooded with people and many of us went to the customer service gate nearby, but no flights were available, everything was booked solid. I had been keeping Larry and Claudia and Barney posted and began to feel I would have to take a red-eye to Chicago and arrive in Ireland a day late. I then I wondered if there might be a flight to Dublin direct from SFO available … dare I hope? After half an hour on hold for Aer Lingus, a nice young woman helped me rebook on a 5:45pm direct flight which gets me to Dublin only an hour later than my original flight … amazing! I let Larry and Claudia know so they will wait at the post-customs area for me, and I alerted the Airbnb host we’d be an hour or so late. I am amazed that this worked out. I was able to retrieve my gate-checked carryon and walked slowly over two terminals … good to stretch my legs a bit. I had planned to surprise Larry in Chicago with seats in Business Class I had arranged, so I had to tell him on the phone. He was very surprised and I am so glad he could make the trip in comfort. Claudia is now on her flight and Larry will board shortly so this is going to work! Glad to say farewell to SFO after being here 9 hours. Hope the flight goes smoothly.

No comments: