Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Greenland, Annikitsoq Fjord and Prins Christian Sund, Monday, 20 July 2026

 We woke up to heavy fog again this morning, but it lifted as we sailed into Annikitsoq Fjord. The morning plan was to land on a rocky beach and walk for a bit, then come back and kayak. The rocky beach rose steeply up the hill (we decided to skip the 5 mile very strenuous hike), with fresh water pouring down in a nearby small waterfall plus the somewhat flat land a bit above the beach, it was not hard to imagine that this might have been a good location for some of those first settlers. In fact, a collection of rocks we saw is an archaeological site, about which we’ll learn more tomorrow. For now, there is so much to learn about this place, the people, and the history. Eva will be doing a cultural lecture this afternoon, which should be interesting.

The hike featured our first encounter with a major “vampiric” level of mosquitos. When Lisle said “vampiric” he was not kidding. I have never seen so many mosquitos in my life. Luckily we had purchased head nets, which I first thought were a frill, and then I realized they were an absolute necessity. Without this on the walk I would have had at least a thousand mosquito bites, they were so thick. The net saved me. After the hike, we went back to the ship via Zodiac and turned right around to kayak for about an hour. I always enjoy kayaking, and each time I do it, it reminds me that  want to do more, and we can start by kayaking on Lake Merritt and in the estuary.

Also found out that the huge glacier we saw yesterday was called the Thrym Glacier. 

Reuben and I put together a list of the people we want to invite to a dinner at the big table for 14 and started talking to folks to invite them. It will be tomorrow evening, and should be fun.

No comments: