Wednesday, January 16, 2013

It's so sad about leeks. Virtually every recipe I've ever read says "use the white parts only" or at best, "use the white and pale green parts only." What's wrong with the darker green parts? I realize I've never actually eaten the green part. Is there something wrong with it in terms of taste, or it is simply a matter of aesthetics? And why should dark green be any less attractive than the pale green?

About to cut some leeks for salmon with leeks and mustard sauce, so will have to try the dark green and find out.

2 comments:

Duff said...

And? I have never used the green parts either. Do we have a new taste treat?

Theresa said...

That depends. They are a bit sharper than I expected, like a mild onion. Quite fibrous, so perhaps the reason recipes don't use them much is that ti wold take a lot of cooking to soften them, by which time the white parts would be mush. I think you could could them if you started the greens first, then the white part, like cooking the ribs of chard first then adding the leaves.