Tuesday, January 8, 2013

This evening I listened to a wonderful piece of traditional American music, "Calling My Children Home, recorded by the True Life Trio, three women who sang with Kitka. A few short weeks ago, two days after the Newtown massacre, the trio sang this live at our pre-performance Revels circle, as we were all struggling with how to understand the horror of the event. Hearing their sweet voices sing those lyrics brought almost all 60 members of the cast to tears, releasing the sorrow and anguish we had felt in the midst of working hard to present what needed to be a joyous series of performances. It was a moment I will never forget, when music expresses what words alone cannot. When I listened to the piece again this evening, with my daughter, her best friend and my husband, we cried. It all came back, the sadness, the anger, the desire to do something, the hope that somehow the parents and families of those children and their teachers will find a way to heal. But this time at the end, as their voices sang into the quietness: I'm lonesome for my precious children they live so far away oh, maybe hear my callin', callin', callin', and come back home someday. I thought about Gabrielle Giffords and Mark Kelly, bravely standing up for doing the right thing, creating a new organization to channel all that "we need to do something" energy into specific, practical action, and feeling grateful for their bravery and drive. And thinking that maybe there is a way to stop the terror of guns killing innocent people. And the tears of sadness will become tears of relief. Just listen: http://www.truelifetrio.com/listen/

No comments: